Moore & Warner traces its historical legacy in Midwest agriculture back to the mid-1800s and C. H. Moore, an early land investor, attorney, and frequent law partner of Abraham Lincoln. Careful stewardship, progressive farming, and straight-forward and fair dealing were hallmarks of Moore’s management and are carried on today in the modern farm management firm found by Moore’s great-great grandson.
1846. Clifton H. Moore settled in Clinton, Illinois as its first resident attorney and purchased his first 120 acre farm. Over the next five years, Moore acquired additional land in five prairie states, becoming a prominent land owner.
Moore counted among his friends and business associates such capable attorneys as Abraham Lincoln, Stephan A. Douglas and David Davis. When Abraham Lincoln was in town for the terms of court, he practiced from Moore’s Clinton law office.
1901. When C. H. Moore died in 1901, he left a landed estate of over 35,000 acres. Vespasian Warner, then a United State Congressman, served as the first Trustee. Successive generations of family members managed the estate from its professional office in Clinton. The trustees and farm management staff took a hands-on approach, traveling extensively to manage holdings across the Midwest and Plains states.
1984-1998. John Warner, IV and Elizabeth H. O’Herin, the great, great grandchildren of C. H. Moore, directed the farm management of the estate and supervised its distribution upon the vesting of the trust in the late 1990s.
1856. Moore constructed the first brick office building in the city of Clinton. He practiced from this office until his death in 1901. Today this fully restored office serves as our corporate headquarters.
1865. After the Civil War, Moore and his son-in-law Vespasian Warner formed a law partnership known as Moore and Warner, Attorneys. In addition to the practice of law, the two men offered farm management services. On behalf of clients about the nation, they identified tracts of farmland available for sale, negotiated the land purchases, and composed fair and equitable leases between capable farm operators and landowners and oversaw the operation of the farms for their absentee owners.
1924-1952. Clifton Moore “Kib” Warner served as managing Trustee of the C. H. Moore Trust Estate.
1952-1984. John Warner III became managing trustee upon Kib Warner’s passing.
2000. John Warner IV established Moore & Warner. The firm carries on the farm management work started by C. H. Moore with the same dedication to professionalism, innovation, and integrity.